Saturday, November 7, 2009

Linux ROCKS!

Many know what kind of problems I have been having with my computer since I got it back from the technicians. The latest is my slave drive. For the last few weeks I have been trying, without luck, to recover my files from it. Every time I would boot the computer up with both master and slave installed, it would say error loading OS. I was running Windows XP on the master, with no OS on the slave. I tried switching jumper pins, moving the slave drive into an external usb enclosure, a boot manager, everything I, and several others, could think of. I even downloaded a trial version of a program called Getdataback, which could actually see the files. The only problem with the recovery program was cost. In order to move those files I had to buy an $80 license key, which I was loathe to do. So a friend of mine suggested trying a Linux live cd. He suggested Linux Mint, which he uses at his cafe. (thank you Anton!) IT WORKED! Not only could I see the files, but I could also transfer them to a flash drive, and it didn't cost a single cent! Why didn't I just burn them directly off the drive using Linux you ask? Quite simple, I only have 1 dvdburner, and the Linux Live cd was in it. I'm still not sure what exactly happened to the drive, and right now I don't particularly care anymore. I only have to get my music off the slave drive yet, everything else has already been moved. Then I will format it. (if it will let me)

3 comments:

Buckaroo Banzai said...

Sweet! That would have sucked if you ended up with a $1,000 paperweight.

Easily Lost said...

Agrees 100% there Copper!

Bob G. said...

EL:
Heard so many GIOOD things about LINUX as an OS...
Maybe it's time to "invest" in THAT, instead of helping SO many other businesses at the expense of our bank account when our Microcrap system OS decides to give up the ghost (again)....lol.